Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Week in Field

I spent a week in Field Ontario with my step dad Wally and his wife Sue. This week had quite the positive influence toward my September with groceries.

The Good: Mostly everything.
  • We had fresh laid eggs every morning for breakfast.
  • Dinners featured roasted chicken, barbecued hamburgers, and salmon cooked a cedar plank .
  • Almost every meal had fresh vegetables from the garden including green & yellow beans, peas, and zucchini.
  • We munched all week on homemade zucchini bread and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with raisin and pecans.
  • Once we enjoyed a lunch of baguettes with brie, roasted garlic, and wine jelly.
  • They also sent me home with green & yellow beans, peas, cucumbers, zucchini, zucchini bread and cookies. Score!

The Bad: umm, nothing.

The Ugly: I ate rabbit, muskrat, and beaver.
  • Rabbit, which I normally enjoy, was an old leather boot. This wasn't Wally's fault. It must have been a much older rabbit.
  • The muskrat was okay. Pretty tender, different texture, interesting flavour. I'm glad I tried it, but I doubt I will be having it again.
  • Now the beaver was pretty darn good. Kind of like a pork roast, and kind of like a beef roast. The meat was very flavourful and had a good texture. I would definitely eat it again.
What interesting meats have you eaten?

2 comments:

  1. Ostrich. Oily but yummy. I like fattier meats, there's more flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's one I haven't had, but I'd like to

    ReplyDelete